The Zagreb Marathon is an annual international marathon race in the capital city of Croatia, Zagreb. The event was first organized in 1987 and has become one of the most popular marathons in the region. Would you like to participate in the Zagreb marathon this year? Or would you like to prepare for next year’s race instead? Here you will find information about Zagreb marathon!
The first edition of the Zagreb Marathon was held on September 20, 1987, and attracted 200 participants. The City of Zagreb, the Zagreb Athletic Association, and the Zagreb Running Club organized the race. The event was designed to promote sports, a healthy lifestyle, and the city of Zagreb as a tourist destination.
Over the years, the Zagreb Marathon has grown in popularity and today attracts thousands of participants worldwide. The race features a 42.195 km marathon, a half-marathon, a 10 km race, and different races for kids. The marathon route takes runners through the beautiful streets of Zagreb, passing by some of the city’s most iconic landmarks and tourist attractions.
Zagreb marathon 2023
Date: October 8, 2023
Start: Ben Jelasic square
Would you like to participate in the Zagreb marathon?
The earlier you register for the event, the better the price. If you register early, the price for running the full marathon is only 27 euros, while those registering a few days before the race have to pay 45 euros. You can find all the prices and register for the event at: https://www.zagreb-marathon.com/en/prijave/
Some general information about the Zagreb marathon.
One of the unique features of the Zagreb Marathon is its commitment to sustainability. The event has been awarded a gold-level certification from AIMS (Association of International Marathons and Distance Races), recognizing its efforts to reduce its carbon footprint and promote environmentally-friendly practices. The Zagreb Marathon is also a member of the Green Project, an initiative to promote sustainable sports development.
In addition to being a world-class running event, the Zagreb Marathon also offers a range of cultural and entertainment programs for participants and spectators. The event features live music, food and drinks stalls, and a children’s play area. The marathon is also a major event in the city’s cultural calendar and attracts many spectators who cheer on the runners and enjoy the festive atmosphere.
Over the years, the Zagreb Marathon has become one of the most important events in the city’s calendar, attracting thousands of visitors and generating significant economic benefits for the local community. The event has also been credited with boosting the city’s reputation as a destination for sports tourism, and has helped to promote Zagreb as a modern and dynamic city.
Here are a few tips if you are new to marathon running.
Marathon training requires discipline, dedication, and proper preparation to ensure success on race day. If you are a new runner, preparing for a marathon is a challenging but rewarding experience. Here you have some practical advice to help you on the way.
- Set realistic goals: Before you start training, it is important to set achievable goals for your marathon. Consider your current level of fitness, any previous running experience, and the amount of time you have available for training. Set a goal time for your marathon and work towards that.
- Create a training plan: A well-structured training plan is essential for preparing for a marathon. Consider using a running app or seeking the help of a coach to create a personalized training plan that fits your goals, schedule, and lifestyle.
- Gradually increase your mileage: To prevent injury and build endurance, gradually increase your weekly mileage over the course of several months. Start with shorter runs and gradually work up to longer runs, taking one step at a time.
- Incorporate speedwork and hills into your training: To become a stronger runner, you should include speedwork and hill training into your training plan. Speedwork can improve your running pace, while hill training will help you build leg strength and prepare for the ups and downs of the marathon course.
- Fuel your body properly: Good nutrition is crucial for success in a marathon. Make sure to eat a balanced diet with plenty of carbohydrates, protein, and healthy fats. Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water and electrolyte-rich fluids.
- Cross-train: Cross-training is important for injury prevention and overall fitness. Incorporate activities such as strength training, yoga, and cycling into your training routine to keep your body in peak condition.
- Get plenty of rest: Rest and recovery are just as important as the training itself. Make sure to get adequate sleep, and consider taking rest days when needed.
- Taper your training: In the weeks leading up to the marathon, gradually decrease the intensity and duration of your training. This will allow your body to recover and be ready to run the actual marathon.
- Test your gear: Make sure to test your running gear, including shoes, clothing, and hydration gear, before the marathon. This will help you avoid any surprises on race day and ensure that you are comfortable and well-prepared.
- Stay positive and focused: Remember to stay positive and focused on your goals. Surround yourself with supportive friends and family, and remind yourself why you started running in the first place.
In conclusion, preparing for a marathon requires discipline, dedication, and proper preparation. By setting realistic goals, creating a training plan, fueling your body properly, cross-training, getting plenty of rest, tapering your training, testing your gear, and staying positive, you will be well on your way to a successful marathon experience. Good luck, and happy running!